International freshmen, Columbus campus|
You are a freshman applicant if you have never enrolled in a college or university after graduating from high school. You are an international applicant if you are NOT a U.S. citizen or immigrant -- including permanent residents, refugees and political asylees.
Deadline for all required application materials.
||Early action: Nov. 1
Regular decision: Feb. 1
To apply, submit a complete application by the deadline
Your application is considered complete when we have received your admission application and all required materials, listed below.
Meet Ohio State’s November 1 early action deadline (non-binding) to receive an admission decision by mid-January. If you apply after November 1, you’ll receive an admission decision by end of March. February 1 is the final date to submit your application.
- We highly recommend applying by November 1 if you wish to be considered for Honors and Scholars Programs.
- We highly recommend applying by November 1 if you wish to be considered for majors within the College of Engineering. After Nov. 1, applications are considered on a space-available basis.
1. Common Application
2. $70 application fee (nonrefundable)
3. School forms
- Official transcripts/documents for course work from the final four years of high school/secondary school (grades 9-12)
- Optional: Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- If you took college courses while in high school, you must submit official transcripts of your college course work. (Applicants from China MUST have a verification of their university transcripts sent from the CDGDC. See ATTENTION applicants from China! below.)
4. Official ACT or SAT scores with writing
Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency (scores from transcripts will not be considered).
What about the new SAT?
You may have heard about a new SAT exam.
If you're applying for the autumn 2017, summer 2017 or spring 2018 term, Ohio State will accept scores from either the current or new SAT. The essay for either version will not be required.
5. Official proof of English language skills
TOEFL: 79 or higher on Internet-based, 550 or higher on paper-based
IELTS: 6.5 or higher
ACT: 21 or higher on the English section
SAT: 500 or higher on the Critical Reading section
6. A completed Affidavit of Financial Support form for each sponsor
International students and their families or sponsors are responsible for all tuition and living expenses at Ohio State. To show that you can meet the financial responsibilities, you must submit an Affidavit of Financial Support form for each sponsor.
Download the Affidavit of Financial Support form and follow the directions carefully. Submit all required financial documents using our Admissions Uploader. See "Admissions Uploader" below for instructions.
These sample affidavits show how to complete the form correctly:
7. A copy of your passport picture page
Submit a copy of your passport picture page using our Admissions Uploader. See "Admissions Uploader" below for instructions.
Please review admission criteria before you apply. Some majors have additional criteria; read more about enrollment criteria.
Note about foreign language documents
Foreign language documents must be translated into English by the issuing institution, an authorized translator or a teacher of the language.
Use our document uploader to connect documents to your application. Transcripts and test scores must be official and cannot be submitted using the uploader tool.
- Within two days of submitting your application for admission, you will receive an email from Ohio State that acknowledges receipt of the application and provides your Ohio State username.
- Follow the instructions to activate the username and create a password.
- Go to admissions.osu.edu/secure/docus and log in with your Ohio State username and password.
- Submit required documents.
- Allow five business days for submitted documents to be reflected in your Applicant Center.
Our mailing address
Get the mailing address for Undergraduate Admissions.
ATTENTION applicants from China!
If you have taken university courses in China, in order to be considered for admission and/or transfer credit you MUST arrange for a verification report of your university transcript with the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). The report must be mailed directly to Undergraduate Admissions by the CDGDC, rather than by you or any third party. Any transcript not mailed by the CDGDC will not be considered.
Note: All materials sent in support of your application become the property of The Ohio State University and cannot be returned, forwarded to another institution or duplicated. Application materials remain in the office of Undergraduate Admissions for one year after the term of application.